Sunday, November 9, 2008

strange times, my friend.

I feel like we're in some weird time-warp.
Gas is where it was 2 years ago, we have a non-white president and Chinese Democracy is finally coming out.

Question: Do you think we are entering onto an era of post-race America?
White groups like Italians, Jews and the Irish have moved from the margins into the mainstream and now African-Americans are starting to-with the arrival of one in the highest position an American can achieve. Do you think we'll have to have an Hispanic in a high office before we can move into a post-race society?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt we will ever be "post-race." The need to draw distinctions between groups is inborn and physical/linguistic differences is an easy line to draw. That being said, we have definitely come a long way with respect to accepting that many ethnic groups have an equal stake in the success and failure of our society and must be included in the political process. I think any reasonable person would think that's a good start.

Miss M said...

Well I have a feeling Bill Richardson will some how be apart of Obama's administration.

I'm not sure that America is entering a post-race era, but perhaps we are becoming more socially aware. I think for a long time we said we were, but our actions speak louder than words. I suppose they still do with things like Prop 8 in California. I think it's an exciting time to be around. Change is scary, but it can also be a very good thing.

Unknown said...

Living in Georgia right now at the very moment of all this change just highlights the fact that America will never be fully post-race. There is some rather astonishing forms of racism still alive down here. That's why we're moving again. I won't raise my children in this kind of environment.

Despite the economic collapse, I am rather happy about the gas prices though.